Sunday 1 June 2014

Some Mothers have 'em.

Boudicca opened Tuesday, to mixed reviews.  And Tuesday it began.  When are you seeing it, mum?  Last Friday, I explained for the umteenth time. No, my pedantic daughter said, when are you coming to see it?  Ummmm.....me on my own?  Sweetie at $30 a pop I will be seeing it just once.  But you need to see it, Cait explained. *sigh*

I needed to see this like I needed a hole in the head.    I am willing to be supportive but there are limits & my purse is not bottomless.  Besides, as Cait had already carefully pointed out in an attempt to avoid the inevitable grumbling about the historical inaccuracy, it wasn't historically accurate.  Inevitable really.  Celtic chariots adorned with scythes were hardly going to decorate La Boite.

Anyway, to cut a long story short I was offered a cheap ticket to Thursday's performance so I dutifully put on shoes & some reasonable clothing & found a seat somewhere in the right middle where I could just see my delighted daughter bookending the top riser of the choir through the branches of what was representing a tree.  So far so good.

I know the history.  It does not end well.  I know the music, which is rather lovely, especially the love song between Bouddica & Prasatagus.  I knew it was theatre in the round, which can be problematic.  None of this was insurmountable but overall I came away thinking for all the bluster it lacked passion & conviction. I have had time to think about it & a lot of it was a classic writer's error.  They told too much instead of showing. They needed to narrow their focus & make the storyline much tighter.  I would have scrapped all the prelude & begun with the rape which was the precipitating factor in the Iceni uprising.  Nothing like diving right into a story!

None of which prevented me from enjoying it immensely. I am easily entertained.  Besides, I have bigger worries than a 4000yr old history event.  I have Cait ~ who decided that as she would soon be flying solo she needed a NavMan.  In all honesty we needed this decades ago.

Having looked at the map I decided it was a straight run up the highway till the city outskirts when it promptly got very dodgy getting to the theatre.  Even with the NavMan we made plenty of wrong turns as the tangle of streets is just confusing.  And per usual there is NO parking. *sigh*

However the NavMan at least constantly redirected us.  Getting in was a breeze.  Coming out was... interesting.  First night, we were 1/2 way through town before Cait twigged she hadn't turned her lights on.  We drive here, no street lights, pitch dark.  You know if you don't have lights.  There is sooo much light in town that we aren't used to it is easy to miss.

Second night, in the confusion of trying to get in the right lane onto Coronation Drive she cut someone off & got royally honked at. Okaaay, breathing here.  We do pretty well.  We accommodate each other's quirks.  I don't back seat drive & Cait stays calm.

Friday was a whole different basket of tricks.  John, Bee & I were all going to church so we had to drop Cait off first then go back for her.  Cait drove in, patiently enduring her father telling her he knew a better & faster route.  Her father drove out ~ & promptly got us lost because he wouldn't use the NavMan. Enough said.  Going back in he still refused to use the NavMan ~ & missed his turn.  None of us had any idea of where we were or how to get back.  I didn't wait to be asked.  I turned on the Nav & it did a pretty good job of getting us out of what was quickly becoming a nasty predicament.

Saturday Cait workshopped for Creative Generation then we saw Maleficent before heading into town again. I walked her up to the theatre then crashed in the car.  We are both just very tired.  Bee is doing a great job of maintaining our high preaching standard so I don't have to stress about that till this week is done.  Prayer & bible study are both quiet this week too.  The Lord is good to me!


No comments:

Post a Comment